Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What is the safest way to raise your car for an oil change?

I heard that using the spare tire jack is not safe to do an oil change.|||It is not unless you use two jack stands, even this is scary. Drive the vehicle up on approved ramps and block rear tires|||The most frequent cause of death is the failure to stabilize a vehicle before climbing underneath it.





Jacks are never a safe way to support a vehicle. I know multiple people who have died relying on a jack to support their vehicle. I know someone who died last fall even. If you raise a vehicle, you must use a pair of jack stands on firm level ground or preferably pavement before climbing under the vehicle. I like to give the vehicle a good push in varying directions. I would rather it fall and do massive damage to my car than kill me. Ramps do the job, but I don't like them.





Also, always chock the tires to block the vehicle from moving in either direction. I know someone else who was on a slight slope and their truck ran over them and killed them. Wheel chocks would have saved his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment