Saturday, December 10, 2011

Why does my car smell like burning oil right after i get an oil change?

My car is new (13,000 miles) and i change my oil about ever 2000 to 2500 miles with synthetic (royal purple) oil. Everytime I change my oil i smell burning oil for the first 100-200 miles. Then it goes away. The only time I smell it is if I stop and walk by the front of the car with the motor off. I just changed it for the 6th time and made sure not to drop oil on anything in the motor and I cleaned around the new oil filter with a rag to get the oil that drips off the oil pan and exhaust pipe (a little always drips when I remove the old filter). I still smell it. Is this normal in some cars. I have never smelled it before. thanks.|||Yes synethic oils take longer to burn away when you drip onto the exhaust. Bend an oil licence plate and drape it over where the oil gets onto the exhaust. Change the oil and remove the licence plate drip shield. You do not have to replace your oil so often unless your racing the car. I use 15,000 Mobil One and change it approxiately every 4,000 miles. Some heavy foot driving and mostly 8 miles to and from work..|||Drips right onto the flexable part of the exhaust. Your Right foot is planted on the floor. I want to take my 2006 Pontiac GTO 6 speed over there. But there are some wide open places west of Fort Worth Texas. I work at Thornhill Nissan

Report Abuse


|||Germany is better than the Iraq sand box.

Report Abuse


|||jp

Report Abuse


|||it's probably the little bit that drips onto your exhaust pipe, even though you wipe it off a little bit remains there and burns off when you start the car.|||cause its burning oil!|||The only way you could smell that is that you spilled a small amount of oil on the engine and it got burned away..... thats about it.|||eventhough you wipe the spilled oil from the exhaust manifold, there is still a little left on it. it is most likely that little bit of oil you are smelling. as long as the smell stops and you are not leaking oil, you should be fine.|||Good answers above.....the smell is just oil residue on the engine/exh that is burning off.

No comments:

Post a Comment